The Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Act of 2005 (Patient Safety Act) authorized the creation of Patient Safety Organizations (PSOs) and the development of Common Formats for the uniform reporting of patient safety events.
The THA Patient Safety Organization (PSO) is certified and listed with AHRQ and supports healthcare organizations as they work to improve health care quality and patient safety.
PSO Membership Provides
- Secure and federally compliant data platform for the retention of Patient Safety Work Product (PSWP)
- Applicable federal protection from discovery of PSWP submitted to the PSO as outlined in the 2005 Patient Safety Act
- Participation in quarterly “Safe Table” meetings for the confidential exchange of learning from adverse events, near misses, and unsafe conditions
- Ability to take lessons learned from others and conduct an analysis of risk, proactively improve processes, and prevent adverse events from occurring
- Access to expert consultation and legal/regulatory updates
- Subject matter expert presentations – both in-person and virtual
- Development of strong network of like-minded patient safety experts and advocates
“Being a part of the THA PSO has been a rewarding and positive experience. As member hospitals, we are able to have input into our quarterly meeting topics. During these meetings and specific case reviews, there is very open and transparent dialogue about common struggles, as well as enthusiastic sharing of ideas, corrective actions and successes. The PSO has allowed us to network and develop relationships with like-minded healthcare professionals on the journey to providing safe patient care absent from harm events.”THA member since August 2016
“The PSO Safe Table events have been a great forum to share stories with and learn from member hospitals, so that we may all provide safer care for our patients. We have been able to take learning from these events to our organization to improve patient safety.” (THA PSO member since October 2016)
For more information
If you have any questions about the THA PSO, please contact Karen Kendrick, MSN, RN, CPHQ, Vice President, Clinical Initiatives at the Texas Hospital Association Foundation, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 512/465-1091.