In 1930, the Texas Hospital Association was launched by a handful of hospital administrators who recognized the value of working together to provide superior health care. Since then, the health care industry has changed dramatically – and so has THA. Today, THA is one of the largest, most respected health care associations in the country, and the only association that represents the entire Texas hospital industry. The Texas Hospital Association serves as the political and educational advocate for more than 430 hospitals and health systems statewide. From the board room to the C-suite, savvy Texas hospital leaders know that THA is the place to make their voices heard on the issues most important to their operations.
Meet THA’s past leaders.
1930 – The Texas State Hospital Association is founded in Dallas.
1931 – The association obtains legislation authorizing Group Hospital Service Inc., the forerunner to Blue Cross/Blue Shield.
1940 – The Association of Hospital Auxiliaries is formed, the first such organization in the nation and the first affiliate of the Texas Hospital Association. Over time, THA will have as many as 18 affiliated societies. The business structure of these evolved over time or were dissolved, but THA still today maintains affiliations with several key groups.
1960 – THA relocates its headquarters from Dallas to northeast Austin on Highway 290 East.
1964 – Landmark legislation marks the start of Medicare and Medicaid.
1965 – THA establishes the Earl M. Collier Award for Distinguished Health Care Administration, its highest honor.
1969 – THA forms its marketing subsidiary, HealthSHARE.
1974 – The Texas Hospital Insurance Exchange, a wholly owned insurance reciprocal exchange, is launched.
2005 – THA celebrates its 75th anniversary.
2005 – THA creates the Excellence in Community Service Award to recognize members who have made major contributions to their communities.
2008 – THA relocates to downtown Austin, just steps from the state Capitol.
2010 – The Bill Aston Award for Quality is established with an endowment from Baylor Health Care System.