Texas hospitals are joining more than 25 other states to improve patient safety by adopting three standard wristband colors: Purple for do-not-resuscitate, red for allergies and yellow for fall risks. The patient safety benefits of standardizing wristband colors are well-documented. The investment in standard color wristbands and staff education will improve the workplace and provide patients with a safer care environment. In spearheading this voluntary, statewide initiative, the Texas Hospital Association, Texas Organization of Nurse Executives, Texas A&M Health Science Center Rural and Community Health Institute, and TMF Health Quality Institute collaborated to provide the Color-coded Wristband Standardization Project in Texas toolkit as a benefit to Texas hospitals.
- Color version of toolkit (PDF)
- B&W version of toolkit (PDF)
- Presentation (Sept. 15, 2008)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Quick Reference Card for printing
- All files (zipped file of color toolkit PDF and related materials)